This December lesson was incredibly successful for 4 reasons:
1. Interest was high because every student was participating in our winter musical: The Nutcracker.
2. The lesson was structured yet allowed for creative choices.
3. Every step and part was demonstrated.
December lessons work best when presented in small, highly structured doses. Full color visuals were available at every table, charts of different parts were presented as needed, and real nutcrackers were on display for inspiration. Students chose 2 or 3 colors for the jacket and hat, just like teams use the same 2 or 3 colors for their uniforms and headgear.
- Critique images of nutcrackers’ uniforms, noting colors, shapes, details, designs, etc.
- Select colors from precut papers: 1 12″x 6″ for jacket, 2 4″ x 6″ pieces for the jacket center and shoulders, 1 2″ x 6″ piece for the very center of the jacket.
- Glue the jacket and center pieces down.
- Fold and trim the shoulder pieces and then glue into place.
- Add sashes, medals, etc.
- Select skin toned paper. Trace and cut a circle. Glue onto the jacket, slightly overlapping the jacket.
- Add cut paper/Sharpie eyes in the center of the face. Add eyebrows with Sharpies. Refer to charts for samples.
- Add cheeks if desired, using colored paper or colored pencils.
- Draw a simple long triangle or circle nose in Sharpie.
- Practice and draw a mustache under the nose.
- Add a small red rectangle for the open mouth. Cut teeth from white paper and glue into place.
Day 3-Hat or crown and hair
- Repeat at least 2 colors that were used in the jacket.
- Cut a symmetrical hat or crown.
- Add details with colored paper.
- Draw hair with a Sharpie.
- Outline the entire headpiece with glue. Make sure to have the glue TIP TOUCH paper to ensure a uniform line.
- Outline shapes on the hat with glue, and add small glue shapes if desired.
- Sprinkle glue on the entire hat all at once.
- Shake off the extra glitter into a cup.
- Outline all parts of the jacket with glue. Include glue buttons and fringe.
- Sprinkle glue on the entire jacket all at once.
- Shake of the extra glue into a cup.
- Add a faux fur beard along the bottom of the mouth.